Monday, February 14, 2011

Our families know!!

I told my parents and sister today about our decision to adopt.  They are all very surprised and excited! My mother kept saying that she wanted this baby NOW and didn't want to wait the two years (no one wants to wait that long!).  I'm so happy that they are open and excited about the fact that we will become an interracial family, although I didn't expect any less.  

We called Dan and Michelle (my-laws) on the phone and Dave made Dan guess our big news.  Not surprisingly, he thought we were pregnant.  Wrong.  He then thought we bought a new house.  Wrong again.  Dave then told him he was going to be in a John Travolta movie (not sure why Dave chose this actor....?) and Dan totally bought it!!  We then got a bit more serious and told him of our plans to adopt internationally, and just like everyone else, he was floored and excited.

We told Andrea (my mother-in-law) today while she came to visit after being in Virginia.  Dave told her to sit down because we had big news, and immediately told her that I wasn't pregnant.  He told her of our adoption plans, and just like everyone else, she was extremely surprised and very excited and happy.

I have to admit, it has been kind of fun to "blindside" our families with this awesome news because we got to experience their true reactions!  It's part of the fun for us!  We are so thrilled that everyone is so happy for us....even though we knew they would be!

We told everyone that we want to keep this information contained within immediate family until we choose our agency, country/countries and put in our formal application.  I told them to think of this period of time as the first 3 months of a pregnancy.  Hopefully it won't take 12 weeks to get this going though! 

As far as agencies are concerned, I heard back from the Maine's Children's Home for Little Wanderers today and Dave and I are going to an informational meeting on Tuesday, February 22nd. I called MAPS Worldwide today and the woman said that they currently only work with China's Special Needs programs, but she will meet with us and talk about various things.  We have a meeting with her on Friday, February 25th.  I figured that it can't hurt to talk to her and see what she has to say about things.  Who knows, maybe we'll learn something about that program that interests us, or maybe not.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda,

    I am so thrilled for you guys! I know that it will be a long process, but that means there's just more time to celebrate and prepare!! :) I'm so greatful that my kids will have a cousin who is from another country. What an unbelievable learning experience for all the kids (and us too!). Please let me know if you need any support and we will be praying that this all works out for you as smoothly as possible. Also,I have a few friends who have adopted internationally, so if you want to talk with them let me know. :)

    Love,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete